Monday, August 17, 2009

Statistics

I was looking at the pics of the kids who are being honored at the upcoming St. Baldrick's event. There are a couple of AML kids who I was hoping would be honored. I have no way of getting in touch with them, but thought it would be great it they were included. I scanned the pics, reading the diagnoses and looking at the pics to see who I recognized. That's when I noticed some of the kids didn't have their ages listed. Of course, I knew Emily and Holly were being honored. Emily had Ewing's Sarcoma. Holly had AML. AML. Just like Lindsay. 1 in 2. There was another child who didn't have an age. A little boy. I had to click on his page. Why did I do it? He had neuroblastoma. That's what they originally thought Lindsay had, after they ruled out ALL. Old wounds opened. Even as I cried for this boy and his parents, I also cried for Lindsay and for myself. There are some pretty simple statistics. I think about that Doors Song. Five to One, Baby. One in Five...

No comments: